Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Rina Hidaka as Cure La Mer

 


When I first learned that Rina Hidaka was going to be Laura, the then-mermaid sidekick of the Tropical-Rouge Pretty Cures, I started to wonder if this was finally the answer to what I had often wished for during my teens: Having a full fighting mermaid in a fictional show.

Throughout the course of the current Pretty Cure season, how many people have seen and adored Laura because of her never-before seen unique personality and her close bond with the current leader Manatsu Natsuumi aka Cure Summer (voiced by Fairouz Ai)? How many people has she inspired by showing them the way on their proper interests and telling her own views about mermaids in contrast to the traditional ones a lot of people had been told for centuries?

On the real life sense by looking at Hidaka's entire filmography, I was plunged into a colorful and dull universe, which also exuded so much power.

It requires hard work and dedication to go deep inside yourself and use even the darkest parts to bring a character to life. And this is exactly what transpires through her many roles over the years.

And now, after countless trials and errors, so many what ifs and several tries, Hidaka has finally fulfilled her childhood dream of becoming a Cure, and followed the footsteps of some seiyuus who already took the iconic role such as Megumi Nakajima, Yui Horie, Yukari Tamura, Eimi Naruse, Aoi Yuuki and Suzuko Mimori.

She made another peaked milestone in the show's nearly 20 year history and, as a seiyuu, I am convinced that La Mer has expanded her and her career even more. It made her grow and pushed her to keep working hard and to always give her best. That's why she has been able to deliver some of the most magnificent performances.

So to honor and celebrate the awesomeness of our fighting funny fish girl and the woman who played her, I gathered some of my co-Cure fans from different corners of planet Earth for a very special and tropica-shiny appreciation to the both of them!





Q1. What are your first impressions about Laura as a character? Why do you love her so much?

Riel (@CharmingKlebver, via Twitter): She's one lively mermaid. Her balance of pep and serene makes me smile a lot. It did helped, color-wise they make a lovely ombre.

Raspberry (@Raspberrycreme1, via Twitter): Okay, I'll admit at first I found her extremely stubborn. And that she was only ever after her goal of becoming the next queen, with her reckless behavior. However, as she started to get closer to the girls, I slowly started to realize how much of a good friend she truly is. It's like a transition of opinions.

Lala (@SANRXO, via Twitter): So right off the bat I thought it was so interesting that instead of an animal sidekick we got Laura, who is already a character with her own goals outside of just finding Pretty Cures. Her design and style are just amazing, and I adore her determined attitude and unique personality!

Rin (@pretty_clover_, via Twitter): I thought Laura was a selfish character who thought she was the best than others. However, she met Manatsu, learned the importance of her friends, and was attracted to her becoming more and more obedient.

Blaze Hoshimiya Akechi (via Messenger): My first impression about Laura-chan is her determination. She may be as funny as Erika-chan and Hime-chan but I can see she is striving some people to get their motivations going. She is actually helpful with her words.

AJ Locke (via Messenger): And well first I always thought she became a Cure due to the fact I have experience identifying new Pretty Cure members, also even at the start she's just a support character for the team. She develops unity and trust to everyone and that's the reason why her character develops even more after 20+ episodes of the show, so yeah I like her very much because of the good write for her plot on the show itself.

Q2. What is your reaction about Laura being a Cure? Explain.

Riel: Super glad she finally becomes one. And literally the her first morph is fantastical~ She finally shows herself to be a great friend and queen candidate.

Raspberry: It was actually expected to happen, because I have heard her complain once about how she would never become a Pretty Cure. But her wish became true, and she became a heroine. It was also neat how she can easily transition from mermaid to human!

Lala: I think it was only natural (as foreshadowed in the first episode) but she really bought that special something to the team - both characterwise and design wise - that really bought them all together. I think she was a great choice for a Cure. Especially as it really showed her development as a character.

Rin: I think it's nice. We've never had a mermaid Cure, and it's good to have a pedicure that expresses Laura's wishes.

Blaze: I was really surprised that Laura-chan became a Cure. In fact, I was really happy. If she didn't become a Cure, she wouldn't become a human. It may sound so sudden but the first time I've seen Laura-chan as a PreCure and a human was in the Mermaid Aqua Pot toy, as it has been revealed.

AJ: It's no surprise since I knew it from the start of show because why you even put her to the visual art poster if she not gonna be a Cure? Not unless Toei pulling another Regina syndrome it will be disappointing. Also I always knew how Toei do their planing in terms of introducing a new member for the current PreCure team, it might be her Cure design is not my favorite but her debut in the show as the official member of the team will be my most favorite part.

Q3. Why is Manatsu and Laura's dynamic relationship so important to Tropical-Rouge! PreCure's overall premise?

Riel: Since it's about motivation, meeting each other makes their live tropically shine brighter with each day. Now that they're Cures, it can get wilder from here. And once they part ways, it'll be an endearing one.

Raspberry: For me, it was important, because Manatsu had a huge love for the sea, and Laura wanted to explore the surface. Their goals and determination, has really brought those two closer together, and I am so happy about it! It's like they are meant to team up together because of their behavior towards each other.

Lala: Obviously the first point is the fact that their relationship is really forming the bond between two worlds, but even deeper than that it's really important for each other's character. Laura is Manatsu's foil, bringing her back down to earth when she gets to carried away, while vice versa, Manatsu reminds Laura to appreciate friendship and have fun. They wouldn't develop this way without each other.

Rin: I didn't know how to answer when asked "Why is it so important?" However, Pretty Cure has always valued "friendship" in the works so far, so I think Manatsu and Laura also value each other's existence.

Blaze: Knowing Manatsu can be excitable. Though her faith can be shattered when she's down, making her transformation disable twice in the series, Laura always wanted to get Manatsu back on her feet. Honestly, I feel a little shocked when Manatsu disables her transformation during the fight twice when she's down in the fight.

AJ: I guess because their leadership works a lot of times to save the team most of the time. I'm not gonna saying the other three (Sango Suzumura, Minori Ichinose and Asuka Takizawa aka Cures Coral, Papaya and Flamingo) didn't help the team to be grown, it's just Natsuumi & Laura's bond is so stronger for them to stand out against their enemies. Natsuumi's fighting spirit + Laura's support to the team is a very important key to the story, without it they can't win.

Q4. What are your thoughts about Rina Hidaka's lifelong dream of becoming a Pretty Cure heroine and how is she inspire others in taking the iconic role?

Riel: This is a wonderful surprise to her. Being one of the major icons you look up to is a challenge and a great wish. Now that Rina has Ocean Blue in her soul as La Mer, she gives her all in playing her.

Raspberry: Well, I think it was a beautiful dream she has finally fulfilled! She really shows to others that anyone can teach their goal of what they want the most in their lives. It's inspiring because she wants to teach others that anyone can do anything. Spot on!

Lala: In a way it's really quite a parallel to Laura's story in a way; in fact knowing that makes it all that much sweeter when she becomes Cure La Mer. It's really heartwarming when you know someone has put their whole heart into achieving their dreams and it's super inspirational to see it come true.

Rin: I think it's nice.

Blaze: Well, Rina Hidaka has most roles as cute girls, as fans mentions about her characters as lolis, like Silica from the Sword Art Online series. I am very surprised that Hidaka took the role as a PreCure. She has been in some heroine roles in few shows.

AJ: I think her story is inspiring other people to not stop pursuing to their goal/ambition in life and to be great in anything. Well, her goal started as a jealous one due to, you know, other seiyuus taking the mantle of a Cure because of experience and being popular by portraying an iconic character. So for me, she uses it as her motivation to improve more as a seiyuu then she got the role and the rest is history alongside with the other cast.

Q5. What is your message to La Mer and Hidaka-san?

Riel: Hidaka-san, thank you for lending your voice to this story. I'm proud that your wish came true as a seiyuu. I hope you take your rest after getting treated and I wish you the best of luck. As for Queen Laura Apollodoros Hyginus La Mer/Cure La Mer, you are quite a character in this series. How can I start? You're a confident lady who has an opinion on most topics with a bit of a cheeky side. A bit vain, you have what it takes to be a great queen. As your time as a PreCure, I love your dress, the nails, the pact attacks, it blows my mind that it took you a while to show your oceanic side. I hope you grow up to be a queen for all. Thanks for being here with all of us. And by the way, I'm working on my goals to be a hero and a storyteller as well.

Raspberry: I want to wish Hidaka-san a full and speedy recovery and that she will all be in good health once again. Because in the end, the Pretty Cures have fought so much for us, it's also time to fight for themselves and I know they can do it! And La Mer, I adore your character, because you bring so much joy to the kids, and other fans around the world!

Lala: Thank you for being/voicing the best character in the series!!!! Laura's captivated me like no other Cure character and her voice actress is a PERFECT match!

Rin: I love the strong and beautiful La Mer. I'm surprised to learn that Hidaka-san was infected with the new corona the other day... I pray for her quick recovery as soon as possible!!!!!

Blaze: Hidaka-san, you are an example of cuteness and I have been admired your cute voice since your role as Silica from SAO. You have always my support. Also, I like your drawing of Laura. Laura-chan, meeting you wouldn't be called something like destiny or fate. But it is our calling that brought us here. I thank you for coming to us. Meeting you is like my heart has been shot by your arrow. And you made me very happy.

AJ: For both of them, I wish that they continue to inspire other people to be good whatever profession/status in their life and good luck to both of them. FIGHT!!!


Rina Hidaka's illustration of Laura as posted
on her Twitter (@hidaka_rina0615)

We wish Hidaka-san for a full recovery from the coronavirus so we can hear her lovely voice and her amazing contents once again. Anyway, please include her in your prayers too.


No comments:

Post a Comment